When you are trying to make a good first impression, your smile will play a big part in how you present yourself. If you smile isn’t feeling up to par, it may be cause for concern. After all, you have a great dental hygiene routine that you perform daily. So why are your teeth yellowing? The discoloration of teeth can actually be caused by a number of factors, ranging from natural aging to staining due to your diet.
While aging is something we can’t prevent, the staining of our teeth from outside sources we can. Over the years the enamel on your teeth begins to wear, exposing your tooth’s dentin. When residue from food, drinks or even smoke are left to sit on your teeth till your next brushing, it can cause the dentin to darken. But there are a variety of reasons to having stained teeth, including:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Drinks such as soda, tea, coffee, or wine
- Excessive exposure to fluoride at a young age
- Taking tetracycline and doxycycline-based antibiotics before age 8 years old
- Health conditions
- Natural aging can cause enamel to break down
Having a mouth full of sparkling pearly whites can be definitely be an advantage, and one quick cosmetic procedure to get rid of your stained teeth is a professional tooth whitening. But in between whitening procedures, follow these simple rules to stop the yellowing process:
- Visit your dentist for regular teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water throughout the day
- Use toothpastes or mouthwashes with whitening agents
Schedule an appointment today with Dr. David Lunt, DDS by calling 818-885-7230. Visit the website for more information at www.davidluntdds.com.
Dr. Lunt gladly accepts patients from Cal State Northridge, Burbank, San Fernando, Topanga Canyon, Valley Glen, Agoura and all surrounding areas.